Living Awake – 8 week Mindfulness and Meditation Course with Allison Ulan
November 6, 2019 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 7:30 pm on Wednesday, repeating until November 27, 2019
Mindfulness is an alert, non-judgmental, and warm-hearted way of being. Its core principle is to develop presence and calm so joy and confidence naturally unfold in our life. As one becomes more centred through mindfulness and meditation techniques, skill, creativity and equanimity naturally increase in our life interactions and activities.
Over eight weeks, you will learn four forms of mindfulness: awareness of body sensation, awareness of breathing, mindful movement, and lovingkindness (deep friendliness and compassion). The techniques covered will be one-pointed concentration, open awareness, mindfulness of body sensation, mindfulness of breathing, mindfulness of emotions, self compassion and embodying core values. Each week, participants will receive online material to support a daily practice to continue embodying a mindful approach to life.
If you are ready to wake up and walk through life more confidently, join this eight week journey in self discovery and inner freedom.
Dates: Wednesdays – October 9th to November 27th, 2019 – 6:30 to 8 pm
at Altermed Clinic NDG, 5757 Monkland Ave. Montreal, Quebec, H4A 1E8
Fee: If paid by October 9th, 2019 the fee is $200 plus taxes = $229.95
If paid after October 9th, 2019, the fee is $250 plus taxes = $287.44
Additional information about this course and Allison Ulan.
In each session of this 8 week course, we will mindfully investigate the traditional and contemporary practices of mindfulness of breathing, body sensation, movement, and embodying the compassionate heart. Everyone is welcome to this course from beginners to experienced meditators. This course will unpack the reliable methods to learn mindfulness and benefit from growing in a heartfelt community of practitioners!
Each class session consists of:
- Mindful Movement, Walking Meditation (15-20 minutes)
- Guided and/or Silent Sitting Meditation (15-30 minutes)
- Heartfulness/Compassion Meditation (10-15 minutes)
- Q & A/Discussion
This eight week course will address in a progressive methodology the profound practice of Mindfulness. Mindfulness is an alert, non-judgmental, and warm-hearted way of being. At its core is developing presence and calm so joy naturally unfolds in your life. You will learn the techniques of one-pointed concentration, open awareness, mindfulness of body sensation, mindfulness of breathing, mindfulness of emotions and mindfulness of the patterns of life (dharma).
Mindfulness = Awareness + Kindness: A simple definition of mindfulness is Awareness + Kindness = deep acceptance of life – Mindfulness. Central to practicing mindfulness is to live from an inner awareness which increases ease, confidence and contentment. By developing awareness of body sensation, thoughts, and emotions, this naturally extends to kindness towards all the activities we do and the people in our life.
Practices that you will learn in the course will be:
- mindfulness of breathing
- mindfulness of physical sensation (body scan)
- mindful walking
- mindful eating
- mindful yoga (gentle stretching as meditation)
- metta (lovingkindness meditation)
- karuna (compassion to one’s self and others)
- validating emotional states to live lighter, centred and focused
- learn to recognize and live from our core values.
- Participants registered for the full 8 weeks will receive weekly email material to support their home practices.
During each weekly session, we gently investigate our inner experience as it unfolds from moment to moment. We may find this to be pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral. No matter what the experience is, we have the option of being present with it. Mindfulness is a kind of laboratory in which we see things as they are; grow in strengthening our ways of seeing, and evolve to embody the inner wisdom of a buddha (one who sees life as it is). Through mindfulness we learn to be in relationship to life and simply to live intentionally.
- Allison Ulan has been facilitating Mindfulness courses and Yoga for over 30 years. She has studied in both India and North America with Vipassana meditation masters. Her main teachers have been H.H. The Dalai Lama, Pema Chodron, Sharon Salzberg, Daryl Lyn Ross and Joseph Goldstein. She is a graduate of Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Training Spirit Rock Insight Meditation Center under Jack Kornfield. Her teaching blends both Vipassana meditation and Tibetan buddhism to help practitioners cultivate compassion, equanimity and creativity. She teaches classes and workshops at Andy’s Treatment House to help people recovery from addiction. For over 20 years, Allison has guided classes in Montreal at Atelier Soma and other studios in Vinyasa Krama Hatha Yoga for health/fitness and Vipassana meditation for mind/body well-being.